A letter from the editor

letters from the editor
Jenn Granneman

Jenn Granneman, creator of Introvert, Dear

Hey everyone,

I realized recently that as Introvert, Dear has grown, I’ve somewhat lost my way of communicating directly with you, the readers, in a personal way. That’s why I’m starting a new monthly feature, called Letters from the Editor. I’ll use these letters to update you on what’s happening with Introvert, Dear, to go deeper into some of the site’s best articles, and to let you know what’s on my mind.

So for my first letter, I’d like to tell you more about me and Introvert, Dear.

I started Introvert, Dear as my personal blog about three years ago. At first, I wrote it anonymously because I wrote personal stories about being an introvert living with an extroverted roommate, working an “extroverted” job (teaching), and dating an extroverted boyfriend—and I didn’t want my identity discovered.

Somehow—almost accidentally—the site took off. Now it’s the #1 community and blog for introverts and highly sensitive people on the web.

Most people don’t know it, but I’m still a 4th grade teacher by day. I’ve taught elementary and middle school students for 8 years. I love my students, but the job can be exhausting at times, being the introvert that I am. Some evenings, after my students have left, I just close my classroom door, sit down, and relish the silence.

I run Introvert, Dear in my free time. In addition to my own writing, I have two regular contributors—Andre Solo (an INTJ writer/adventurer) and Amelia Brown (a sweet INFJ I met online through Introvert, Dear). Their writing appears every month on this site. I’m also fortunate enough to have many wonderful guest contributors.

Right now, it’s Easter Sunday, and I’m sitting in my studio apartment in Minnesota. No family gathering, just me and my boyfriend both on our respective laptops (we’re both writers and introverts). I came down with what might be bronchitis, so I’m not going anywhere today. As much as I love my family, I have to admit that it’s kind of nice to skip the big party and just relax at home.

One more thing—I just launched a Patreon campaign. You may have seen the yellow banners on the site asking you to pledge. I’m really hoping that with contributions from readers, I’ll be able to take the site to the next level. That means publishing more articles, paying more writers to contribute, and running ads on Facebook to reach more introverts. To everyone who has already pledged, thank you so much! You can see the names of our initial contributors here.

Let me know what you’re doing today in the comments (whether you celebrate Easter or not). As always, if you have an idea, question, or concern, email me at introvertdear@gmail.com.

Quietly yours,

unspecified

• Mynds_Eye says:

Oh my gosh!! I found home! Love your twitter page!

• Rodney K Haitana says:

Thank you Jenn, Wishing you Easter blessings from Australia.
    Happy Monday ~R.

• robinstl says:

I can remember teaching. One day I came home, opened the door, walked in, managed to shut and lock the door, walked straight through the living room into the bedroom, dropping things as I went, and fell onto the bed fully clothed, shoes on, and passed out. Good thing I had only agreed to teach for a semester.

• Jenn Granneman says:

Oh, I know that feeling all too well. 🙂 I think I did something similar many nights when I first started!

• I lovw the content here and I’m a big believer in Patreon, so I’m happy to contribute!

• Maddie says:

I would like to see more INTJ posts. It’s hard to find ones that truly match.

• SueE says:

It’s Easter Monday here in Australia, I spent all day at home by myself and I didn’t go out. I think I enjoyed it. Just curious, how did you go from an extroverted boyfriend to an introverted boyfriend?

• Jenn Granneman says:

Sounds like a relaxing day. And about the boyfriend—sorry for any confusion. I am no longer dating the extrovert, but am dating a different introverted boyfriend. He’s a much better match. 🙂

• Janet says:

Love this site. Thank you. As introverts we are already outnumbered so it is nice to be reminded there are others out there. As someone else mentioned it would be nice to see more INTJ stuff especially for females. At 0.08% of the population we are really rare gems.

• Jenn Granneman says:

Thanks for your kind words, Janet! And I passed your idea about female INTJs on to Andre Solo today. He’s our “resident” INTJ writer, and he said he would consider that idea for next month (he writes one INTJ article a month).

• Keira says:

Jenn – you wrote “As much as I love my family, I have to admit that it’s kind of nice to skip the big party and just relax at home.”

I did, too, for the first time. It was just a relaxing day with my youngest Son. My other Children are grown adults and most had to work. So we forgoed the big Party.

Reading what you wrote went a long way in alleving my guilt. I did feel guilty. Now I realize I had nothing to feel guilty about. It was a wonderful, peaceful relaxing day.

You are helping people like us to accept who we are and to live your lives and our truths without shame or guilt. Forever grateful.

• Jenn Granneman says:

Thanks for your kind words, Keira! Glad to hear you enjoyed a quiet day at home and are no longer feeling guilty about it. 🙂

• Keira says:

Correcting a mistake – live OUR lives (not your). OOPS!