What Writing Means to Me as an INFJ

IntrovertDear.com INFJ writing

Amelia circle

Dear fellow INFJ,

“I have stories still to tell, they’re of the healing kind…”

I have been told that I have been writing since I was able to hold a pen. For years, I kept handfuls of journals tucked under my bed and in desk drawers—and I suspect many other INFJs do the same. I have memories of journaling the happenings of elementary school dramas. So-and-so was the official hot boy of the 5th grade and he looked at me. You know, things of that nature. Real hard-hitting stuff. I attempted to write poetry, but didn’t find my stride with writing until my late teens. I lived for my English Composition and Creative Writing courses in high school. Let’s just say I was never exactly disappointed when we were assigned to write a paper.

My love of writing followed me to college. About halfway into my degree, I added a Creative Writing minor. With my declared major, I was required to have a Business minor. The university I attended is well known for its business school, however I knew I needed to study something that would soothe and lift my creative soul. I decided poetry would be just the thing. I realized I had very little knowledge of how to read and interpret poems. Luckily, I found famous poets that I adored, including Pablo Neruda and Edna St. Vincent Millay.

Introvert Dreams Coloring Book coverEnter a Breathtaking Inner World

Do you like to color? The first coloring book truly for introverts is here. Follow an introvert and her cat on a journey through quiet, forgotten places. Learn more.

One memory from a course I took is when I was assigned to write a sonnet. I didn’t think I could ever enjoy writing structured poetry (c’mon, I’m an INFJ—a free spirit!), but it turns out having limitations only forces more creative outcomes. My professor commented that my sonnet was something Edna St. Vincent Millay would appreciate. In that moment, I was actually proud of something I had written.

I absolutely loved my poetry courses. But, sadly, I didn’t write much after I graduated from college. I was transitioning into my adulthood, with a full time job and bills to pay. I was trying to find my footing in a new city. I’m sure I tried to write every now and then, but I lost the spark that I once had when I wrote poetry in college. It wasn’t until late 2014 that I began to find my voice again. You see, I stumbled across this very blog and sent an article pitch to the editor. I spent an embarrassing amount of time editing and perfecting the first article that was published. I was scared to send it into the world. That was two years ago.

I never expected the feedback it has since received. I don’t know who I would be if I didn’t write. There is a common theme amongst INFJs with writing. We tend to prefer communicating with the written word versus speaking aloud. I know that for me personally, writing allows me the time to think of what I actually want to say. I do not enjoy being put on the spot to answer a question. I need time to contemplate before I give my response.

Not only does writing help me communicate more effectively and eloquently, but it helps me sort out my feelings. I only ever know how I feel about something until after I spend time writing about it. Writing is my healer. And I hope maybe the things I write can heal someone else.

Reading the words other people have written also heals me. Translating emotion and experience into a language we can all understand is the closest thing to magic, at least to me. I recently got a tattoo to represent my love of writing. It is inspired by a song lyric by City & Colour that goes, “I’ve got stories still to tell, they’re of the healing kind…”

The tattoo is also inspired by you, my readers. The last two years writing for Introvert, Dear have meant a great deal to me. I want to thank each and every one of you for reading my words. I never thought I would muster up the courage to put my thoughts so publicly into the world. Your kind words have encouraged me to keep going, even when I doubt myself.

Writing is an intimate thing. I put so much of myself into the things I write, as I'm sure all INFJs do. Putting my writing into a space for others to read is putting myself into that space. It’s vulnerable. It’s scary. It’s surreal to think that there are people out there who want to hear what I have to say.

Again, thank you for being here with me while I explore my writing journey. My only hope is that I can be here for you, too. Writing here means a lot to me. And so do you.

If you would like, leave a suggestion for future article ideas in the comment section.

Love, your INFJ friend,

Amelia signature

Image credit: Olena Yakobchuk/Shutterstock

Read this: 4 Reasons Why I Love Being an INFJ

• Kristen H says:

Hi Amelia! You just took all of my thoughts and put it to paper. you’re giving a voice to a subset of people who have so many words to say but no idea how to express them. Or it doesn’t come out exactly so.

I graduated college five years ago in a writing related field but feel so far away from ever getting back there. Do you have any ideas in how to start in that direction, like submitting to this blog or similar ones? Thank you!

• Alexander James says:

Amelia, thank you for your words, and for sharing yourself through them. I too am an INFJ, and I agree, there is something really special, even powerful, about the written word. I too know the feeling of losing sight of writing for a time. I’m a college student now, sort of studying a major that I’m not too thrilled about (long story …), and I unfortunately exhaust a lot of my “writing energy” working on papers that don’t really move me or interest me. However, I don’t want this to wrest writing from my hands.

For me, the really good stuff is poetry. I started writing poetry a few years ago. One of my first ‘real’ attempts was at the occasion of a death. Since then, I’ve written a couple handfuls worth. I find poetry creatively demanding, but in a good way. Sitting down to write a poem challenges me to think in different ways and come up with images to express near-ineffable experiences. I find it to be a very fulfilling way to spend my energy.

I just wish I would convince myself to spend more time on it! One thing I’ve tried recently, which I also offer as a suggestion to others struggling to write, is to start a “poetical diary.” What I do with this is try to write a few poetical lines expressing something I’m wrestling with or thinking about. I pay little attention to formality; it’s very free-flowing. Some lines are just sentences, others might be just a word or a phrase. I try to throw in some rhymes or alliteration here and there. I play around with extended metaphors and similes. I realize that these entries aren’t poems per se, but what I do see are lots of potential poems. The images and words are there, waiting. When I’m eventually ready to compose something more formal, I will have some materials to work with. And even if none of the entries grow up into full-fledged poems, I still find it to be a more creative expression than a standard journal entry. For me, right now, it seems to be a good middle-ground between writing full poems all the time and writing nothing at all. And perhaps that’s one of the best parts about it: it coaxes this perfectionistic INFJ into getting words on paper without worrying about polishing and adjusting. Often times you simply need to stop fussing; just write.

• Danielle says:

Your article reflects my inner most thoughts. I am so glad I found this website, it has given me a lot of validation. I really appreciate you writing your feelings, they have helped me process my own.

• sister2sister2sister says:

Very fine work. Thank you! I consider myself an INTJ, but I so exactly identify with your comment about preferring to write; there is the pause to correct the thought, or even delete it before an unsuspecting soul becomes it’s victim. My preference lies with short, feature-type articles with a focus towards the reality of God. Also, I am transitioning, slowly, from the banking industry to…?…I think something more in line with writing or creating or troubleshooting and problem solving. Whatever it is, people in excess will not be an element of my day! Thank you again!

• Though I am an INFP I understood exactly what you were saying. Writing is very much how I process the world, and it’s an escape.

• Nana says:

Hi, are you my lost twin? ;u; I can relate to you 100%.. Every word you wrote pretty much describes me, it’s almost scary haha. I’ve been keeping a journal for as long as I remember.. from physical diaries to my tumblr blog. Whenever I don’t write my thoughts out for a while, I feel frustrated and lost.. until I start writing again. My head immediately clears up after I write. It really does help me sort out my feelings. Thank you for sharing your stories with us, you’re very courageous <3

I feel more at peace knowing that there are many people who feels the same way as me. I just subscribed to this blog, and look forward to reading more of your writing :')

Love from another INFJ,

Arraday.com

• eva says:

Dear Amelia,
    I miss your youtube videos and your blog posts! 🙁 I would like to know more about your favorite writers and which works you like in specific in your future articles 🙂

Love,