12 Type Secrets of the INFP Personality Type

IntrovertDear.com INFP

INFPs are unique individuals who care deeply about other people. They possess a rare set of abilities that allow them to masterfully understand emotion and the human experience. At their best, INFPs bring emotional healing to others and inspire incredible change in the world. INFPs are fairly rare, making up about 4 to 5 percent of the population.

Here are 12 less obvious aspects of the INFP personality type:

1. INFPs need to feel inspired.

INFPs live in a world of emotion and meaning. They need a certain level of emotional intensity in their life in order to feel like they are truly living. So, INFPs may unconsciously seek out relationships that evoke strong feelings. Or, they may turn to books, poetry, music, travel, or charity work that inspires them. However, if the passion or intrigue fades, INFPs may find themselves feeling restless. Dissatisfied, they may move on to another relationship or project that once again infuses their life with meaning.

2. INFPs are deeply in touch with their values.

Perhaps more than any other personality type, INFPs are deeply in touch with their personal values, because their dominant mental function is Introverted Feeling. This means INFPs make decisions by asking themselves, “What feels right for me?” INFPs are generally nonjudgmental and gentle, but they may find themselves reacting with anger or defensiveness when someone violates their values. This may happen when other personality types, such as “Thinking” types like the ENTJ, INTJ, or ESTJ, demand to know the rationale behind the INFP’s decision. But INFPs may not be able to offer logical reasons. They made a decision simply because they felt a certain way. When others criticize them for “not having a good reason,” the INFP may be left feeling invalidated. If this happens too much, sadly, the INFP may begin to doubt themselves and their most natural way of thinking.

3. INFPs want to connect with the essence of life.

Often, INFPs are lovers of nature who spend time outside or in the wilderness. They do this in an effort to passionately connect with what they see as the basic essence of life. Especially early in life, INFPs may become lone wanderers, as they travel and explore one place after another. They’re usually content with rather simple or Bohemian living arrangements, perhaps furnishing their homes with second-hand furniture and decor. Extravagant vacations, designer clothes, and fine meals aren’t a priority for the INFP, who values a simple life of meaning over a life of material goods.

4. Creative expression is their life blood.

INFPs tend to excel at writing, music, or other forms of creative expression, because art allows them to express their deep feelings in an authentic way, explains personality profiler Antonia Dodge, co-owner of Personality Hacker, in a podcast about INFPs. INFPs may not be able to articulate their deep, personal feelings to friends and family in passing conversation, but they can create a painting or write a novel to immerse others in their emotional experience. It may be an emotional experience related to their own feelings, the feelings of another person they’ve come in contact with, or on a much wider scale, the feelings of the human experience in general.

5. INFPs are healers of emotional wounds.

In the Keirsey Temperament system, the INFP is nicknamed the “Healer.” And the nickname fits, because INFPs care deeply about the inner emotional lives of other people. According to the Keirsey web site, “Their great passion is to heal the conflicts that trouble individuals, or that divide groups, and thus to bring wholeness, or health, to themselves, their loved ones, and their community.” The INFP’s ability to heal springs from their deep understanding of emotions, their caring nature, and their ability to see things from a unique perspective.

6. Other people dump their problems on them.

Unfortunately, there can be a downside to being so gentle and outwardly receptive: other people dump their problems on you. Many INFPs end up in one-sided conversations in which the other person vents their feelings and complains, while the INFP listens patiently. Being the dumping ground for other people’s problems can give INFPs a sense of emotional heaviness, and in fact, many INFPs do have an air of melancholy about them. Spending time alone, immersed in a creative project or in nature, can help clear the INFP’s head. And, INFPs can learn to set boundaries to avoid getting “dumped on” in the future.

7. When INFPs feel passionate about something, watch out!

INFPs may see themselves as reluctant heroes. One minute they’re strolling through life, the next minute their passion has been awakened because they’ve stumbled across a person who needs their help. With their idealism driving them on, INFPs can be truly unstoppable, Dodge told me. That’s why this type has accomplished great things—think Joan of Arc, who, as a teenager with no military training, led the French army to victory over the British during the Hundred Years’ War. Other famous INFPs include Princess Diana, Audrey Hepburn, Fred Rogers, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, Tori Amos, William Shakespeare, Helen Keller, and Isabel Briggs Myers (creator of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator).

INFPs are often found helping people who are sick, disabled, or in need, writes Dr. A.J. Drenth of Personality Junkie. INFPs love rescuing the helpless; for example, they might adopt abandoned pets from an animal shelter or take up special causes that have affected them personally, such as raising money for research for a rare disease.

On the other hand, if INFPs don’t feel a sense of conviction, they tend to shut themselves off from the world. For INFPs, “when it doesn’t matter, it doesn’t matter. But when it matters…it matters big,” Joel Mark Witt, co-owner of Personality Hacker, told me.

8. INFPs don’t want just any job.

INFPs are not particularly driven by money or career status. What they really care about is doing work that aligns with their personal values and allows them to help others. Because INFPs are highly individualistic, they may feel dissatisfied working for a company or organization that they don’t personally believe in. INFPs are motivated by vision and inspiration, so they may become restless and unhappy if they have to do routine work often. Their ideal job allows them to express their individuality and takes advantage of their ability to see unique solutions. They enjoy working independently and having a measure of control over how and when they complete projects. As they experiment in life, try new things, and find themselves, INFPs will inevitably narrow their interests and be better equipped to find work that truly resonates with them.

9. The people in their life must share their values.

INFPs make wonderful partners and friends. They’re loyal, nurturing, and understanding. Self-aware and often spiritual, INFPs tend to be open-minded and accepting of other people’s preferences and behavior—as long as their own core values are not violated. They strongly support their friends’ and partners’ individuality, encouraging them to explore their own ideas and interests. However, they choose romantic partners and friends carefully—not just anyone will do. INFPs look for people whose values are similar to theirs. And they need someone with whom they can create deep emotional intimacy.

10. They shy away from conflict.

INFPs tend to be sensitive and have a strong need for harmonious relationships. Because of their open, accepting nature, they’re always looking for ways to compromise and accommodate other people. They are generally quite skilled at finding creative solutions to interpersonal problems. However, confronting someone can be difficult for them, so they may ignore problems or keep negative reactions to themselves.

11. INFPs can lead through inspiration.

INFPs are true introverts who prefer to stay out of the spotlight. They often spend time alone, immersed in their daydreams or creative projects. They tend to live quiet, simple lives. But this doesn’t mean that INFPs are not leaders. In fact, INFPs can be powerful leaders, because they have the ability to profoundly inspire others. When they tap into their passion, sense of meaning, and natural abilities of creative expression, they can get others excited about causes they believe in.

12. INFPs can grow by having new experiences.

The INFP’s secondary function, Extroverted Intuition, is a learning process that “sees behind the curtain,” so to speak. It perceives patterns in the INFP’s experiences and makes connections that aren’t necessarily obvious or inherent by definition. It asks, “What if?” and sees possibilities. The way INFPs can grow on a personal level is by using this process to explore, make connections, and learn new things. For INFPs, this may mean traveling to new places, taking classes to learn new skills, joining groups or clubs to meet new people, or feeding their appetite for new information by reading or exploring the arts. The more INFPs have new experiences, the more they will add to their deep understanding of emotions and the human condition.

Ply the original path that life has laid out for you. Don’t let it get shrouded with weeds.

~Constance Chuks Friday

Did you enjoy this article? Sign up for our newsletters to get more stories like this. retina_favicon1

Image credit: Marta Bevacqua

Read this: 11 Things to Know About Loving an INFP Personality Type

• Hello, sorry to bother but are you an INFP ?

• Love this! It resonates within me quite so! <3

• M. says:

I recently discovered that I was an INFP and it opened my eyes so much to everything. I’ve read a lot about this type and I truly recognize myself in most of what is written about it. The amount of thrills I get everytime I feel something is spot on is unmeasurable.
    I feel everything so intensely. It’s a curse really, but then again I love to feel everything so deeply. It makes me feel that I understand. It makes me feel alive. I love learning too. I love listening to other people and try to learn how they work – how they see life – and feel it with them. I love learning about life and all the aspects of it. I love being creative. To write stories and to play music. I connect with everything when I’m in the zone and really that is just my kind of adrenalin kick!
    I relate a lot to the above secrets. I love that there are people out there who understands what drives me and what kind of person I am. It makes me feel understood in a world where I feel misunderstood all the time. Where I feel I should change who I am, because society tells me I should be someone else. I will forever be grateful that I found this blog, because it gives me a place where I am allowed to be myself. Thank you. 🙂

• This is interesting. I’m an INFJ officially, but I was very close to being an INFP, and I can definitely see why – a lot of this definitely resonates with me.

• Dear Jenn, thank you for sharing this. I’ve known since 2007 that I’m INFP. I was in my early 40s then. So I had gone through the whole first half of my life without understanding anything about why I was different and had such a hard time growing up. Learning about INFP was a true revelation for me, but I find that I need to keep reminding myself of what it’s really like, and articles like this are perfect for that. I look forward to reading many more of your posts.

• This put into words so beautifully what I feel and experience every day. I will share it.:) Thanks for spreading awareness about our type. So welcome and validating.

• Lee-Ann says:

Thank you for breaking this down so thoroughly. All of the points really resonate with me, especially the need for meaningful work.

Every time that I settle into thinking that I’m an INFJ, I come across something about the INFP’s traits that make me question myself again! I think that I’m a hybrid of the two.

• C. says:

With being an INFP I, and other INFPs, naturally love finding out why we do the things we do, why we react in a certain way or even what makes us happy. So learning that Isabel Briggs Myers, is an LNFP comes as a delight and, to be honest, not much of a surprise. It makes sense that the personality type that likes to think about themselves and others would create a detailed and mostly accurate system that helps people of similar values. I say “mostly” because I am an LNFP and being open minded means that one of my values is to never be 100% definate because a tiny part of my brain openly admits, “what if I am wrong?”. At the end of the day there is so much variation in the world, but for me, most of this stuff, like almost all of what’s said about LNFPs is helpful. Thank you for a great description.

• Luke says:

Oh my gosh, I don’t even know where to start on how amazing this post is to me. I relate to it all! Lol I just love being a highly sensitive, empathic INFP man so much! You’re blog has really helped me come to understand my empathic abilities such as mirroring emotions so deeply. It can seem like a curse from time to time to feel EVERYTHING so deeply, but I wouldn’t trade it away for the world. I thank God every day for my gifts, and I want to thank you for this information. My hope is for everyone to grow as I have on this wonderful journey. It all gets better, it can, and it will! Idealists unite! Lol

• Violet 33 says:

Yes! Resonates with me so much! <3

• K. says:

Thanks for this post! Every detail described me perfectly. For most of my life I’ve wondered what’s wrong with me. It was such a relief, a few years ago, when I realized that I’m a perfectly normal INFP.

• Setfree says:

I was so relieved to learn that my personality trait is INFP. I, like many of you grew up wondering why I was so different than anyone else…..that no one was quite as deep as I was. As a teenager, I thought that my personality was a bad thing…something I would grow out of as an adult. I am and always have been deeply affected by my surroundings and my feelings. I seriously want to write about everything! I get upset over the evil I see in this world, yet, I find that I always wonder how people do the things they do….how did they get that way….where did it go so wrong in their lives. It is no coincidence that I am a graduate student for counseling. I am so proud to be a part of such a selectively wonderful 4% of people.

• maila says:

such a relief.perfect

• Ball Cream says:

Although the end of the post mentions that every INFP is different, I still think this article boxes in individuals of this personality type and can make some of them want to agree with it even though they may not necessarily identify with said traits. I didn’t personally find this very appealing in my honest opinion.

• SunnyFlours says:

I’m growing cynical to the world because I’m tired of getting hurt by others. I’m sick of being taken advantage of! Why do others have to be so cruel to people who care about them? Coworkers, strangers, spouse and kids….my biggest mistake is trusing others.

I just can’t deal with it and have been in a “I don’t give a garbage” mood since being taken advantage of last. I’m sick of genuinely caring about other people and getting hurt. How much can a person take before they just shut out their feelings? Has anyone else suffered with this?

• Elizabeth M says:

As a fellow INFP, i feel the need to try and advice you the best i can since i have many times felt the same frustration, sadness and heartbreak from being taken advantage of for my good nature. I’m going to be blunt about: your biggest mistake is not in trusting others but in trusting others when they have, in all clearness shown themselves to be untrustworthy. Though i am not aware of the context of your plight, i know that the one piece of advice my mother gave me when i had recently found myself hurt by someone close to me was that when you first meet a person, you should view them as a blank slate of sorts. They have not yet shown you who they are, what their intentions are and what they are capable of doing and by viewing them as such, you give them the chance to show you how they are and give yourself the power to respond accordingly. My biggest mistake was i would view every person i met and even people i had known for a long time as equally well-intentioned and kind as i was: i viewed them in accordance with my ideal of what they should be rather than what they actually were. The problem in doing this is that you are always going to be disappointed because the sad truth is that a majority of people are centred on themselves: they view life as a win-lose game, doing what is best for them rather than what would be best for everybody. By giving others the power and the room to define themselves in your eyes, it is suddenly a lot easier to decide who deserves the full extent of your trust and kindness and who is limited to more general, impersonal interactions. It also prevents you, in most part, from becoming cynical.
      The INFP’s greatest weakness and strength is their idealism: we see the world according to a particular standard and are shocked when others don’t meet this standard or don’t even try to, while we spend our whole life doing so. By the standards of mutual respect and love, those closest to us-our family, our blood, our kin- should love and care for us, not taking advantage of our kindness or hurting us. In reality, few people will live up to this standard and suddenly we find ourselves at a disadvantage because we give so much and recieve so little. It is a hard lesson to learn but an extremely empowering one: giving in to cynicism and despair keeps you from letting in the rare, rare people who really are as kind, generous and empathetic as we are. Shrewdness when interacting with others is key: as INFP’s, we must come to terms with the fact that not everyone will meet our ideal or even cares about our value system and even those who do care are not perfect (and that’s okay).
      We must also shed our victim complex: being who we are, it is easy to feel like the whole world is against us and have personal feelings of dislike towards us. It is one of the reasons we don’t take criticism well and often personalise it. Truth be told, we are in part to blame for our plight. It is important to remember that ultimately you decide how someone treats you because you give them the room to treat you in particular ways. If you don’t assert your need for respect through your actions, they will have room to disrespect you. Knowing off and utilising this power will reduce how often people take advantage of you: if you interact with a person and know, from their behaviour, that they are likely to take advantage of your kindness, don’t give them the room to do so by reserving it for the people you know will reciprocate it.
      Additionally, one must always remember that people aren’t explicitely against you: they are for themselves. Our introverted feeling might tell us otherwise, but shedding the view that we are at the centre of abuse is the key to improving our place in life. People are selfish, its human nature and it is the rare few that aren’t. The way to overcome this aspect of human nature is not to wallow in self-indulgent pity: ours is to be aware of the true nature of those around us by what they do and not what we expect them to do, and to act accordingly. This is especially useful in the outsied worldL kindness, compassion and genuine attention and care is like a precious mineral or metal, and naturally, giving it to everyone will deplete you as the giver. Treat your ability to give and care about others with the value it deserves and you will not feel jaded or cynical.

• Mary says:

Elizabeth, you are so articulate and wise. And you are very kind to take the time to explain what you did here. Thank you so much. It has been deeply helpful to me. You have given me some direction and been a comfort to me after two days away with someone someone who used me, You have a gift.

• Suaylia says:

This site is awesome as an introvert. I love it. 🙂

Ever since I started blogging I realize that it is quite a creative outlet for me and I wondered why I love blogging so much.

But this site explains it.

I love what you said how INFP can lead by example through passion, authenticity, etc.
    I don’t think INFP are “natural” born leaders in what people traditionally view as leaders, you know being direct and upfront, but we can lead through inspiration, and honestly I think that is cool even better than being an upfront kind of person, you know!

Thanks for this site!

• Fad says:

It’s comforting to know my personality is a valid. I feel I am three steps closer to finding myself.

• Kayla Peirce says:

Though I am only 12, I have always felt like an old soul. I’ve always found an interest in other people, yet knew I was different. It’s nice to know there are others like me.

• Shen says:

This article couldn’t be more true and relevant for my personality type. Especially, the 1st one : INFP’s have a deep need to feel inspiration, passion, and meaning.

Thank you for sharing this. It really makes me feel even more comfortable with my personality type.

• Lunar says:

An intj offered me a “gift” in return to my feeble attempt at a gift to her. She let me know that infps think they are good at reading people but are “notoriously bad”. She was pretty certain of this and talked in a very similar way to my dad growing up who is also intj. I found that it made me crumple. I cried for like all day yesterday and then again this morning. She hit such a sore spot. I felt like mince meat. On the one hand it seems like saying Fi is essentially pollution of the brain. My main function:( on the other hand it seemed to miss the fact that I personally suffer from extreme doubt about anything I know. I don’t really believe I can read anyone well for sure….. I am actually generally very afraid of what people think of me as well as I usually mildly sense these thoughts

1. Fi is “icky” and selfish
    2. Ne is goofy and entertaining but basically just makes the unpalatable palatable like essentially I am unpalatable and my Ne only serves to make okay the rest (like people don’t seem to think my Ne has actual perception and what do I know about whether it does or not)
    3. Si is boring and just means looking to the past like some loser
    4. Te is hideous and why infps “make no sense”….. It is kind of like well if they have any sort of knowledge that remains to be seen as whatever they say is rubbish.

I do not know how Ni works for me I honestly am afraid to make any claims before they are debunked. But I do know sometimes I get flashes Ne or Ni that I do not know what to do with. People dismantle what comes out of my mouth and I feel I don’t have tools besides Ne which is not a communication function. So I am never with a voice I am incredibly “by the wayside”. Basically even if I were to accidentally hit upon something true anyone with mildest amount of aggression would knock it down with practically a look.

I feel raw as I write this but what can I do. Online is not the best format because It feels like talking to myself but in the real world if I communicate I am ONLY in listening mode. I don’t put myself out there and am pretty mute.

• Lunar says:

So basically…..you should write that infps appear to others like they think they are masters of emotions and the human experience. Other people don’t see them as actually being this way. Just some kind people here and there who think that is what infps need to hear. And well we are a human race so perhaps the majority consensus is what has to hold. A part of me always checks for the general feedback. General feedback to Fi is yuck.

• Lunar says:

Well actually no. I take back the feedback part. The feedback to Fi is not all negative. In honest truth, it’s a mixed bag of reactions….

I have been thinking about what the purpose is of the infp “archetype” whether archetypes is a real thing or not (what do I know… I am infp).

What I stand by is that what comes out of our mouths will usually be dismantled in one way or another. And that in conversation, usually, the infp simply switches over to the listening mode. The infp simply can’t get their internal knowledge out….. it is a deeply painful process to not be able to unlock that inner knowledge. Also the internal knowledge is easier to communicate when sinister in nature….but I am not sure it is all sinister or incorrect, but it is mostly sinister. It is best not communicated when it is easiest to communicate because as we we work out the Ni impressions they will have this fault finding and then Fi is like “you can’t have such thoughts about people, shhhh!”, it is very gross in a way because it is absolutely a part of who we are and this is really harsh HARSH and I would like to know the origin/purpose of this archetype).

But we cannot be grossly manipulated for the most part because of this Ni store. For example, I have an infj who thinks she is manipulating me under cover……but I detect the delight on her face and the guilt…..I miss the nodes so to speak and would be unable to explain at all what she is doing and would not be sure of what her successful result was (sometimes after the fact when it is too late I can make sense of it). BUT…. I suspect she is doing it. See the difference? By the way, this manipulation is not very harmful, she doesn’t seem to do anything really wrong with it, and I DON’T think of it as an Fe trait. I think of it as an NF-intelligence trait. The Fe just helps with the beauty of it and has an edge among all the NF “gaming” of situations. I do not think Fe itself lacks authenticity and I know an infj who is so pure ?and kind of helpless in that purity?. Like she examines her ethics to death and is very self-conscious about her ethics. Something infps probably don’t have to do in such an intellectual way. Infjs I see who don’t care to have set ethics seem authentic to me as well. Just WILD creatures really.

Here is an example of why Fi absolutely is knowledge:

a person comes out and says “you are very emotional”. They don’t have a clue what I am crying about and decide I am very emotional (my grandma died). The thing is I am emotional. But the way this person says you are emotional gets my Fi attention, probably for self-referenced Fi reasons… ouch or something like that. We are emotional and learn from getting hurt.

But what does my attention then serve? I notice the tone of that statement. I sense a mild disgust and distance.

This tells me:

a) this person devalues emotions
      b) the person sees weakness in me
      c) the person sees weakness in themselves

Well it is an impression that sticks around. I keep reevaluating. Meaning today I am probably wrong about you but if I know you 20 years I will be right. I will know if you are the kind of person that secretly looks at emotionality as weak and secretly almost wishes to physically punch me. I know these are just under flavors and not the whole of you but I will know it is there. I will know if you are the kind of person that is very sentimentally confused by emotion (this is how I usually experience the estj for example) yet have poignant emotions. I will know if you are the kind of person that to be loved by and love the whole world (this is how I usually experience the enfps). I will know if you are living in an essentially unemotional sphere of thought yet care in an icy and deep way (this is how I view the intj). Honestly, I will need intimacy with you and several years for this. A 2 minute video doesn’t do it. Because I do need Fi-hit (I have to be hurt??) to understand.

I will know you THROUGH your emotional weaknesses. It is definitely emotions-related. This is a dark aspect to how I understand people 🙁 So if people want to claim we are rose-colored they are so wrong………. just I don’t get how wrong that is. And I will only know you in an emotions kind of way. So it misses anything that has nothing to do with emotions. Oh… I am also hypersensitive to whether a person has flex power (beating up power).

Okay so what is it that hurts about this???? Well…. it is annoying to constantly have to see these things about people. I carry a lot of shame HIDDEN for being so sinister.

Also, if we ever voice these things to someone it won’t come out pretty. That I know…. they will think the devil just landed. Also, I have noticed that the mere fact that if is Fi-based info means it will be usually be rejected… that part I struggle with all life long.

So…. infps get into big trouble trying to make sense of something quickly. We cannot understand something or a person quickly….. the longer we take and the more careful we are…. the better the impression. There is almost never enough time for us to understand. If we speak impulsively and reflexively, all this Ni- “nightmare” spews out….. I think you can’t get anything more hideous. So I guess we need to keep switching to this Ne gathering mode and the Ni thing will just operate in the background intelligently. We should not use the Ni however. It is really hard to explain. I think this Ni in the background is incredibly intelligent actually………. I mean I know that in the “emotional” purely “emotional” sense of warm/kind/genuine/sad/etc we will sort of know people we know well. We will know their individual “feels”. Not know all the other aspects about them.

So people can tell us all our lives that we don’t get it I need to self-defend here and say that although I sense they are right, they are also wrong. I sincerely believe that. You know why? I will break otherwise. Don’t tell me that my entire life I try to understand all of you and that I don’t get you. That is really incredibly painful. :(:(

Okay what is the purpose of the infp? We are definitely among the less useful types. I have given much thought to this and this is what I think. Because in real life mode, we switch to the other receptive mode, we do not get out what is on the inside…., we will somehow “take the punches” and allow the mystery into whether we know anything. Basically we always grant anyone the right to say we don’t know anything…. we do not self-defend like I did here. Not one on one. We emotionally self defend and lash out, but we do allow people to knock down what we know…. I can’t figure out why we do it though…. I think we know we are wrong…. and yet there is truth locked up in that background Ni… I know it…..??? It makes us useful because we can allow others to believe what they want about us and themselves….. Get it? If they can with the mildest aggression knock down what we “know” about others, I think this is the role we play. And it is a very strange role….. It is like this is an archetype that takes the punches as to what it knows or does not know… and then simply says okay I don’t know anything picks itself back up and continues…. it is definitely painful. And we are ridiculous in how much we hurt…..
      We will always cede the ground when it comes to a fight over the truth. Not necessarily about our own inner truth. But in an interpersonal way, the truth about others…. we kind of let them have it….. we say “okay, I don’t know about you….”

Well I think we know how you “feel”. I don’t mean how you feel on the inside. But we know you “feel” externally. To talk to you means to feel “aggression, ice” “aggression, warmth” etc. We just know that, but we will concede the rest to you.

• richard says:

Unbelievable!!! That’s the best description of myself EVER!!!
    I gues someone wrote about my life! It’s 99,5% of Richard!! Now I can better understand myself…

It sounds wonderful to have another view of my personality….Thanks so much for this Article. I’ve got a no words to thank you!!!

Best regards,
    Richard

• Aenima says:

“At their best, INFPs bring emotional healing to others and inspire incredible change in the world.”
    It’s so UNCANNY to see my deepest dream and interest described in the first paragraph in an article. 😉

Also, Lunar – very interestngs posts. 🙂 Kinda chaotic, but I know how it is. I have this tendency to rant to my SO in kinda philosophical-explorative mode, often finding myself a bit ashamed that I once again articulated smth that could sound like a common sense.. Yet somehow it has some deeper meaning for me. I always hope I’ll understand something better and uncover the next layer of truth buried somewhere, that’s why when I rant I don’t really hold myself back in fear I’ll loose on something that could really alter my perspective. That’s why I’ve read your post with interest.

• Emily says:

Thank you! Still searching for that place where I can feel fulfilled and serve others.

• Lunar says:

it’s actually kind of nice to see the other infps feeling so good reading this article. i don’t feel so great cuz i fall so far from the description. i appear to be really glum version of infp.

• MidwestDJ says:

I find a lot of great points in this article. I think what Lunar might be explaining, is what I find hard to defend a lot of times in my own life–my intuition is strong and I just “know” things without “knowing how or why” I know them.

If you’re an INFP, you know that having a high level of empathy and being able to read others can make people nervous. And if they don’t have the same gift, they can be dismissive and judgmental. And if they don’t accept you and your feelings, it’s uncomfortable to defend yourself. It’s easier to just keep quiet.

For me, this goes beyond just reading other’s expressions. I am an artist, but I also have an MBA and spent many years working in marketing jobs. In a business environment, an INFP can bring a lot to the table. I don’t think we are the least useful type at all. I worked for a long time in situations with high level business execs. Though I struggled with feelings of insecurity, I kept this to myself. My bosses over the years have always indicated that I bring a lot of creativity and vision when I am involved in meetings and projects.

It may sound strange, but I could always do math and get the right answer as much by intuition and feeling than knowing the right formulas and equations. Sadly, at school, a lot of my INTJ teachers and peers couldn’t understand this. I always went back and showed my work as a double check. But it was interesting to see how often I was right before ever working the problem.

No one ‘type’ is more or less valuable than another. We all have our unique styles and bring different gifts and abilities to the table. INFPs just have to stand up for themselves and find their niche to thrive.

The world would be a boring place if everyone were the same.

• Lunar says:

More and more I find myself understanding life and myself less and less….I don’t trust myself anymore. Don’t trust what I know don’t trust what I feel don’t trust people. Don’t trust the past don’t trust the future. Am so lost. It just one day at a time now. Get the paycheck don’t fall apart try not to hurt people like I once did cry in privacy once a day. Start over next day.

• leyla says:

I have never been read through so easily before. reading this in the way its worded is so honest yet im so motivated to be myself more. im proud of being an INFP. i adore the concept of being sincere in all i do. its what i live for. this article is gorgeous

• Natalie says:

This is me spot on as an INFP. Right now I really struggle with what our society has become in the United States. I am an Idealist & the hatred & vitriol that is spewed forth every day makes me shrink further into my turtle shell. I would love to find a place to live on this planet where I can live in peace & raise my sweet family & continue my legacy, which is & always has been service to others. If anyone finds this special place, please let me know where it is. I think it may be an elusive pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

• Andreea P. says:

As an INFP I agree with the following traits (that some people over here described):
    – yes, I am a dreamer, I daydream a lot
    – yes, I am in love with the arts and creating – actually, I was in art high school
    – yes, I sometimes knew the answers to some math problems intuitively, before actually solving them step by step
    – yes, I want to write in my notebook about everything ( I actually thought about making short biographies of the people that surround me – thought that was a cool idea)
    – yes, I can be very emotional – I can get emotions from everywhere – It’s like – when I listen to a song or see a beautiful painting or read something beautiful, my heart seems to “get bigger” and receive such a joy sometimes
    – yes, I love it when I can talk in an authentic way with someone and they open up
    – yes, I am disorganized – love a more free environment
    – yes, I have tried to see the world in a more logical and pragmatic way
    – yes, I love the word: authentic – and I love the idea of: pursuing your heart and listen to your intuition (although I’m not sure this can work all the time in the real world)
    – yes, I have a hard time expressing my deepest thoughts and feelings to another human being
    – yes, I dislike conflict very much and I try to get to a common solution as soon as possible.
    -yes, when the days are bad, they can get very dark – and need some inspiration to be able to continue.
    Signed, another INFP